What we are looking for
COLD OPEN STORIES is a place for authors to share their talents, get seen, and celebrate fandom. We are committed to helping new and emerging voices get recognized, and no money exchanges hands through our site. When it comes to written submissions, we have a few simple requests:
Winter 2020 Call for Submissions – Requirements
- Take place in the setting of Warhammer 40,000. Original characters are preferred.
- Adhere to the setting’s themes of fractured societies, amoral characters, cosmic horror, and/or gothic science fantasy.
- Short stories (previously unpublished) between 2,500 and 6,000 words. [Updated January 12, 2020]
- Script submissions (previously unpublished) between 2,000 and 4,000 words
- All submissions that are accepted will receive a “Written By…” credit on the site in the Short Stories section.
- We believe that diversity in fiction in an excellent way to find new voices and stories. We want this to be reflected in our content and welcome submissions from every race, nationality, gender, and sexual orientation.
Making a submission
Submitting your short story or script is easy. Email at .docx or .epub to email@example.com and provide the following in the body of your email:
- Word count
- 1 paragraph ‘executive’ summary of the work
- A brief bio of yourself (and your social media / website contact information)
We’ll be looking forward to your submission!
Hear your work adapted
In addition to being featured in the Short Stories section of our site, one lucky writer will have their story entered into the development process for one of our Audio Dramas! Hear your words come alive as fans perform your story with the same polish and production values as our other Warhammer 40,000 thrillers.
Copyright & Legal
COLD OPEN STORIES is a site dedicated to short stories, fan-fiction, and a love of the performing arts. All content created herein is done as a not-for-profit and is not intended to infringe upon the property or copyright of other creators or companies. Songs and materials heard in our audio dramas are original and are created under the Creative Commons and Fair Use attribution licenses.